Kaarigar Copper was founded by Amelia and Alnasir Khan who grew up in India and the Philippines respectively, both countries known for their beautiful handcrafted items.
On a trip to India, Alnasir was shocked to witness how little a retailer was willing to pay an artisan for their hard work. This incident led to Alnasir brainstorming how to help artisans and their families. He started meeting with artisans in several different regions to assess their needs before coming to a conclusion: These artisans needed to be paid fair compensation for their high quality, labour intensive, beautifully crafted items.
Thus began Kaarigar Copper, a business with a profound appreciation for handcrafted items and the artisans behind them. (‘Kaarigar’ means ‘artisan’ in Hindi.) The name is a wonderful reflection of their mission to promote the handiwork of artisans in India and globally.
So now that you know about the business, let's talk about copper!
Other copper products that are available on the market mix copper with other metals to lower the product price. Kaarigar Copper ensures that its copper products are 100% copper only because copper is a trace mineral crucial for the overall health and function of our bodies.
Copper helps us maintain a healthy immune system, healthy blood vessels and bones. Since our bodies cannot produce the nutrient itself, it’s important that we receive it through external sources, such as the foods we eat or even household kitchenware such as cups or straws. Even in trace amounts, copper provides us with tremendous health benefits such as the following:
- Anti-aging - Copper is an essential element in producing melanin. Melanin is what determines the pigmentation of our skin, hair and eyes. Because of its key role, without copper, our skin wouldn't look as healthy. Low copper intake has also been associated with premature greying of the hair. Copper also plays a huge role in maintaining collagen and elastin. It has been hypothesized by scientists that copper may have antioxidant properties and a healthy intake may prevent skin ageing.
- Immunity-booster - It’s thanks to white blood cells that we are able to fight off infection when we are ill. When we aren’t intaking enough copper, it reduces the white blood cells in our bodies making us more vulnerable to infection. Including trace amounts of copper in our diets helps us maintain enough blood cells to keep our bodies healthy and happy.
- Skin healing- Copper combines anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and antiviral properties. These help our bodies heal wounds faster and support healthy cell renewal. These new cells replace the damaged cells and help fight off infection.
- Brain health- Good amounts of copper in the body have been associated with the ability to process complex information and advanced thought.
- Environmental impact- Unlike plastic, copper straws and houseware are sustainable, reusable and more presentable. They also don’t contain harmful BPA or carcinogens.
- Joint health- Though it has yet to be scientifically proven, many have claimed that copper consumption helps relieve joint pain and arthritis.