Kaarigar Copper was founded by Amelia and Alnasir Khan who grew up in India and the Philippines respectively, both countries known for their beautiful handcrafted items.
On a trip to India, Alnasir was shocked to witness how little a retailer was willing to pay an artisan for their hard work. This incident led to Alnasir brainstorming how to help artisans and their families. He started meeting with artisans in several different regions to assess their needs before coming to a conclusion: These artisans needed to be paid fair compensation for their high quality, labour intensive, beautifully crafted items.
Thus began Kaarigar Copper, a business with a profound appreciation for handcrafted items and the artisans behind them. (‘Kaarigar’ means ‘artisan’ in Hindi.) The name is a wonderful reflection of their mission to promote the handiwork of artisans in India and globally.
So now that you know about the business, let's talk about copper!
Other copper products that are available on the market mix copper with other metals to lower the product price. Kaarigar Copper ensures that its copper products are 100% copper only because copper is a trace mineral crucial for the overall health and function of our bodies.
Copper helps us maintain a healthy immune system, healthy blood vessels and bones. Since our bodies cannot produce the nutrient itself, it’s important that we receive it through external sources, such as the foods we eat or even household kitchenware such as cups or straws. Even in trace amounts, copper provides us with tremendous health benefits such as the following:
- Anti-aging - Copper is an essential element in producing melanin. Melanin is what determines the pigmentation of our skin, hair and eyes. Because of its key role, without copper, our skin wouldn't look as healthy. Low copper intake has also been associated with premature greying of the hair. Copper also plays a huge role in maintaining collagen and elastin. It has been hypothesized by scientists that copper may have antioxidant properties and a healthy intake may prevent skin ageing.
- Immunity-booster - It’s thanks to white blood cells that we are able to fight off infection when we are ill. When we aren’t intaking enough copper, it reduces the white blood cells in our bodies making us more vulnerable to infection. Including trace amounts of copper in our diets helps us maintain enough blood cells to keep our bodies healthy and happy.
- Skin healing- Copper combines anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and antiviral properties. These help our bodies heal wounds faster and support healthy cell renewal. These new cells replace the damaged cells and help fight off infection.
- Brain health- Good amounts of copper in the body have been associated with the ability to process complex information and advanced thought.
- Environmental impact- Unlike plastic, copper straws and houseware are sustainable, reusable and more presentable. They also don’t contain harmful BPA or carcinogens.
- Joint health- Though it has yet to be scientifically proven, many have claimed that copper consumption helps relieve joint pain and arthritis.
Copper is an essential trace mineral that is vital to human health. It has antimicrobial, antioxidant, anti-carcinogenic and anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps neutralize toxins. Our bodies cannot synthesize copper, so you need to get it from dietary sources.
According to Ayurveda, drinking copper-enriched water in the morning on an empty stomach helps all three Doshas (Kapha, Vata and Pitta). This also ensures proper functioning of different organs and several metabolic processes.
- Copper is known to be oligodynamic in nature (the sterilizing effect of metals on bacteria), and can destroy bacteria very effectively. It is especially effective against E.coli and S.aureus, two bacteria that are commonly found in our environment and are known to cause severe illnesses in the human body.
- Copper helps cleanse and detox your stomach to ensure proper elimination of waste and harmful products. It also regulates liver and kidney function and ensures the absorption of nutrients from food.
- Copper promotes the breakdown and elimination of fat cells.
- Copper helps regulate blood pressure and heart rate as well as lowers bad cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Copper is the main component in the production of melanin that defines the color of your eyes, hair and skin. Melanin also helps keep the skin safe from sun damage, speeds up wound healing and covers up scars.
- Copper aids the body’s absorption of iron, which plays a key role in fighting anaemia.
- Copper also helps in the production of new and healthy skin cells that replace old dying ones.
- Copper has very strong antioxidant properties which help fight off free radicals and negate their ill effects – one of the main reasons for the development of cancer.
- Copper is known to have brain stimulant and anti-convulsive properties.
- Copper regulates the functioning of thyroid gland.
- Copper also has bone and immune system strengthening properties, helping to mitigate arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
The Kaarigar Collection is sourced directly from artisans in India to ensure that they are paid fair value. You will not find machine-made perfection.
The Kaarigar logo on our copper products is an assurance of quality. They manufacture the copper items themselves in India. They recommend avoiding cheaper options, they may not be pure copper and thus would not provide the health benefits that you seek.
Care for your Copper
Hand wash only using regular detergent. Do not use a dishwasher.
Every few weeks
- Add the juice of half a lime to a pitcher and fill up the rest with water
- Soak your copper in the pitcher for a few hours
- rinse your copper thoroughly and wash with detergent
Copper is not innately utilized by our body. That is why too much of the metal can be detrimental. According to the FDA about 12mg/day is more than sufficient for the body to use without causing any harm. So, do not overdo the entire exercise. Drinking water twice or thrice in a day from a copper vessel is more than enough to reap its benefits.